Thursday, June 23, 2011

What is the Devil Like?

This happened last week. We were driving, and all of a sudden, Alice pipes up, "What is the Devil like?"

I have been so careful not to talk too much about Hell and Satan to the girls, not because I don't want them to know who he is, but because I don't want them to be so scared of him that they go to God. I want them to go to God out of a love for their Creator, not out of fear of going to Hell. Does this make sense?

So, I am now faced with this question. What do I say? I said a short prayer and then told her that no one knows for sure what the Devil looks like, but we know that the Bible describes where he lives to be hot and a place where people can't get enough to drink. I go on to tell her about how he tries to make people hate God and to do evil against God.

I tried not to focus too much on him, and then turned it to God. I explained that because of the Devil, we need God more. I reminded her of how sin separates us from God, and reminded her of how Jesus came and died, but rose for us so that we could have a relationship with God. I trust on the promises of God that His Word does not return void!

So, how would you have responded? I am always interested because others may have already faced questions like this, and may have a better answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment